- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup butter or oil
- 1 cup shredded sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded dark rye bread
- 1 cup shredded white or whole wheat bread
- 1 cup shredded multigrain bread
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 fresh finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- turkey or chicken broth
Sauté onions, garlic and celery in the butter or oil until softened. Combine onion mixture with bread, salt, poultry seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Pepper to taste and stir in broth until well moistened. Stuff the turkey with the mixture or bake covered in a shallow casserole dish at 325°F for about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove cover for last 5 minutes to brown
- Try substituting different breads for different tastes.
- For Apple Stuffing add 3 peeled and chopped apples. Sauté apples with the onion, garlic and celery until softened.
Market shopping list: Onions, celery, oil, parsley, dark rye bread, sourdough bread, whole wheat and white bread, multigrain bread.