- 2 tbsp butter or margarine (25ml)
- 1 cup chopped onion (250ml)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (500ml)
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock (750ml)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (125ml)
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar (2ml)
- 1/4 tsp each of dried thyme, salt and white pepper (1ml)
- Nutmeg for garnish
In a saucepan, saute onion in butter or margarine until tender. Add carrots, chicken broth or stock, orange juice, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Place carrots and half the cooking liquid in a blender. Cover and blend on high until ingredients are very smooth. Return carrot puree to saucepan with remaining half of cooking liquid.