Farmers’ Market Manager
Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market Society
Posted September 18, 2019
The Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market Society is looking for a passionate Farmers’ Market Manager to support the operations of the Market and the Board of Directors. This position involves ensuring the day-to-day operations of the market and ensuring the tasks for the Market are conducted in a professional manner.
Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market is Edmonton’s biggest indoor year-round farmers’ market. Fresh from the farm to your family, featuring over 130 vendors selling only the freshest locally grown food and hand-made goods.
About the Role
- Continual relationship building and communication with new and existing vendors, Board, inspectors and others;
- Ensure visibility and accessibility to vendors and customers during market day;
- Receive input from vendors and others to improve the market;
- Develop and enforce market rules with the CEO, Board, and vendors to ensure efficient processes are in place, reviewed and updated annually;
- Ensure day-to-day consistent and fair interpretation of the market rules for vendors and others;
- Actively recruit vendors and work with the Board and CEO to select new vendors for the market;
- Mediate disputes between vendors or between vendors and customers;
- Work with the Board, attending all meetings and providing operations report;
- Develop and implement an emergency readiness plan with the CEO;
- Ensure knowledge of legislation and regulations, which impact vendors and the market;
- Ensure regulatory compliance through local bylaws and provincial legislation;
- Work with the local public health inspector and other inspectors to ensure regulatory issues are addressed within the market and the vendors;
- Maintain the facility and identify any maintenance requirements;
- Maintain complete and accurate records including processing bills incurred by the market;
- Complete required Alberta Agriculture and Forestry paperwork annually and ensure vendors have completed their farmers’ market home study food safety course; and
- Supervision and direction of staff and contractors.
About the Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business is an asset;
- 3 – 5 years of working experience in a related field;
- Experience in a Farmers’ Market environment is an asset;
- Experience in managing budgets;
- Excellent conflict management skills;
- Strong relationship builder;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Well-organized, self-motived professional with the desire for new challenges and responsibility.
What We Offer
- A strong and locally supportive culture based on respect, communication and teamwork.
Please forward a resume and cover letter along with salary expectations to HR@osfm.ca
This competition will be open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for a pre-screening process will be contacted.