- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic minced or chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups cooked barley, cooking directions below
- 3 bell peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 2 cups grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
In a bowl, mix ground beef, onion, egg, salt, pepper and cooked barley. Divide meat-barley mixture into 6 portions. Place each portion into a halved pepper, packing it in. Grease 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place filled pepper halves in dish. Place shredded cheese over peppers – ensure meat mixture is covered. Then cover with tin foil. Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake peppers for 1 hour.
In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.