Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market is hiring! See below for available positions.
Marketing, Communications and Events Manager
Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market Society
Posted February 28, 2018
The Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market has been the cornerstone of the vibrant and historic Old Strathcona shopping and entertainment district for 35 years. It provides a year-round indoor and out-door venue every Saturday for direct sales for over 150 local farmers, food producers and artisans. The Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market Society is comprised of member vendors and governed by an elected Board of Directors.
The Marketing, Communications and Events Manager is responsible for planning and executing a strategic marketing and communications plan to support the Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market brand and mission, and generate customer attendance and vendor sales. There will be a strong emphasis on special events and promotions, community relations and social media. This is a new position with the opportunity for the incumbent to bring his or her personal creativity, energy and marketing skills to create an exciting program of public events, community engagement and consumer education in support of local farmers, food producers, artisans and the Old Strathcona community.
This position reports to the Market Manager, in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Committee of the Board.
This is a 32-hour a week position, with the focus on Saturday market day. There may be some flexibility in weekday hours; however, the incumbent must be available all Saturdays, with the exception of approved vacation time or other approved absences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan and develop an annual strategic marketing and communications plan.
Plan, produce and execute the marketing and communications program including:
- Evaluate and report on results of marketing activities and the strategic plan
- Manage the market’s social media, website and on-line presence, generating content in support of the market’s brand, and overseeing advertising and promotions
- Plan and execute an ambitious program of indoor and outdoor special events and promotions, possibly utilizing street closure, parking lot or park space, and including hiring of entertainment and coordination of on-site arrangements
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local and regional media outlets and communities through information-sharing, story-telling, news releases and program participation, with a view to increasing media engagement and awareness
- Develop programs to optimize use and value of the market’s new mobile App
- Identify opportunities and execute plans for improving community relations with the Old Strathcona neighbourhood and the Old Strathcona business community, as well as the broader Edmonton community
- Keep abreast of issues affecting the business of the Old Strathcona Farmers market, such as food, agriculture and arts-related trends and regulations
- Develop e-mail marketing and communications strategies and mailing lists and maintain databases with assistance of office staff
- Manage the market’s advertising in all mediums in accordance with the approved plan and budget
- Write and produce promotional and collateral materials
- Participate in budget development for the marketing and communications program and execute the program according to budget
- Provide communications support to the Manager and/or Board as required
- Participate in media interviews and media events as required
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or other related discipline
- Three to five years’ experience or more as a marketing and communications coordinator or manager
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a high level of confidence in the workplace with previous experience implementing a marketing program and interacting with mainstream media
- Experience planning and executing special events
- Thorough knowledge and proven experience managing social media, web and internet presence
- Experience in strategic planning and project management
- Experience or familiarity with Alberta farmers’ markets would be an important asset
- Experience or familiarity with the local food and agriculture communities would be an asset
- Experience or familiarity with small business direct sales would be an asset
- Familiarity with local media outlets and their audiences
- Membership in IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) or similar professional membership would be desirable
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to work independently and take responsibility for project outcomes, while maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and stakeholders
- Ability to develop and maintain strong external working relationships, including with media, community, government and industry contacts
- Ability to analyze problems, consider objectives and offer innovative solutions and recommended actions
- Proficient computer skills, familiarity with all major social media platforms, YouTube, Google, with WordPress and data base administration an asset
- Excellent creative writing, editing and research skills
- Basic photography and digital graphic design skills; advanced experience would be an asset
- Superior organizational skills, ability to develop timelines, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects concurrently
- Personable and professional demeanor, excellent verbal communication and customer service skills
- Highly self-motivated, with strong detail orientation and high standards of quality of work
- Versatile and creative thinker with the ability to understand, interpret and express the objectives and culture of the OSFM and its vendors
The Marketing and Communications Manager is a new position. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Applicants are invited to state salary expectations. Applicants must be available to work Saturdays.
Interested applicants should forward their cover letter and resume as soon as possible to email@example.com, as this posting may close at any time.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants moving forward in the interview process will be contacted. No phone calls please.